This post is less than 200 words long. By most read-speed estimates, it will take about 60 seconds to read. I hope it helps you think differently about the fear of failure.
There aren’t many things that prevent us from things we might really want to do.
Mostly they’re governed by fear.
And mostly that fear can be broken down into two categories.
- The fear of judgment
- The fear of failure
Fear of judgment — we’ll tackle that another day.
When it comes to fear of failure, it runs deep in almost all of us.
The way I like to thing of it: 90% of people feel fear; the other 10% are afraid to admit it.
Fear of failure is a major driver for many of the top performers in every field.
What might happen if we thought of fear of failure like this:
Failure is feedback.
If we try something and it doesn’t work, there are three real choices we face.
- To try something else.
- To refine the thing we’re trying and go again.
- To give up trying.
If we can agree that 3 is not an option that most of us want to consider, then we only have 1 or 2.
Either is good.