The Most Important Stuff
- What is Solo Stars? It’s a 6-Month Online Group Training & Coaching Program
- Who is it for? Microbusinesses, Freelancers, Solopreneurs and anyone thinking about getting started in your own small business
- What’s in it? Six 90-minute training sessions on key aspects of online marketing, tailored specifically for the single-person business owner PLUS Six 90-minute coaching calls to talk through your own specific business / online challenges and find a way past them PLUS Invitation-only access to a private Facebook group with me and your other program members
- When does it start? April 2019
- How much is it? €497 (or 6 monthly payments of €97) (To add: As this is the first time I’m putting on this program, I will be learning as I go too. I expect that Solo Stars 2, whenever that happens, will be at a significantly higher price-point. But to get there, I need to demonstrate the value. So you’ll be getting in on the ground floor, and we can try to take off together!
Now for all the detail 🙂
Online marketing is everywhere. And so much of it is terrible. Really terrible. Lowest common denominator stuff.
Online marketing is not a goldmine. Very few people strike it reach. And nobody strikes it rich just by figuring out some Facebook Ads hack, or gaming the Instagram algorithm, or creating a perfect email marketing funnel. If you’re looking to strike gold — to get rich quick — then I’m sorry; this program is not for you. If you’re looking for a way to grow your microbusiness, to increase your value and profile as a freelancer, or to build your profile as an entrepreneur that’s going places, then this might be for you. If you’re trying to do any of those things, and the reason you want to is because (1) you want to do great work that you love, (2) to get paid well for it, and (3) to live a life that is in alignment with your deepest values, then this is definitely for you.
Who am I? And why am I doing this?
Hi, my name is Shane Breslin. I’ve worked in online media, marketing and communications since 1999. I’ve designed and developed websites, I’ve written content, I fell in love with the power social media and started to hate lots of it too, I’ve project-managed. I’ve worked in media (but never for a traditional newspaper), I’ve led the online direction of some of Ireland’s leading charities/non-profits and for the past two years I’ve been freelancing and consulting for businesses from single-person travel agencies and coaches to High Potential Start-ups and €200 million per year turnover corporations. My consulting business is going well (I’m now focusing on helping business-to-business companies with their digital strategy, direction and execution). But I’m still a one-person business (call me a microbusiness, a freelancer, a solopreneur or whatever…!), I see lots of tiny businesses getting overwhelmed, focusing on the wrong areas, and running out of time or energy. And I want to help. That’s what Solo Stars is all about. As you may know, I have been writing, speaking and podcasting about depression, happiness and the dotted line in between for the past two years. There are many causes of depression and unhappiness in general. One of the biggest causes of unhappiness is the way we live. So many of us (and this was me for much of my adult life) try to create the so-called work-life balance, as if our work can be safely stored in one compartment over here, and the rest of our life is over there in another. But here’s the thing. It’s all life. What we do to make a living affects our lives. That seems obvious, I know, but I also know that I didn’t fully appreciate that for such a long time.
A circle I’ve been trying to square
1. My life well lived project is all about integrity, transparency, honesty, humility 2. So much of online marketing is dishonest, misleading and aims to prey on the vulnerable. The aim of Solo Stars is to help tiny businesses to get to grips with the do’s and don’ts of online marketing and communication, so that they can flourish and prosper with integrity and good values, without resorting to the trickery and lies that makes up so much of what we see online. The point of marketing is to connect two people. One person whose unique combination of skills, experience and integrity can solve a specific problem. And another person who faces that specific problem, and needs help to get past it.
It’s possible to work in a way that our work supports the life we want to live, instead of threatening it
For some of us, our businesses can create massive wealth and allow us to kick and relax on a beach somewhere for the rest of our lives. For the rest of us, though, the reality is that we will need to work. But work doesn’t have to feel like work. The best possible version of work is identifying the activites that we’re really good at, activities that we really enjoy because we’re good at them, and which creates products or services or experiences that other people value. And then doing that. Work doesn’t need to be about 40 or 60 or 80 hours a week. It doesn’t need to be about 4-hour a day commutes that threaten your mental and physical health. The perfect sweet spot of work where you’re doing something you love, and bringing that thing to someone who values it. Online can help to make that happen. And it can help to make that happen in a way that you can spend the vast majority of your time doing the things that uniquely add up to make you you, instead of trying to figure out your online
What my Online Group Coaching and Training Program looks like
- 6 live online trainings (1 per month) tailored specifically for the one-person business who needs to spend 90% of their time delivering the work that truly sets them apart. Those trainings will include things like this:
- The things digital marketers don’t tell you about digital marketing
- How to set up your website so that it starts really working for you
- How to build your personal brand (and why that’s important)
- How to build an email list of people who want to hear from you
- Making sure your site is set up to be visible in Google
- How to pick your primary social media platform (and why that’s important)
- 6 live online group coaching calls (1 per month), where we go through whatever obstacles are holding you back, and figure out a way past them live on the call
- Worksheets and resources on all aspects of online marketing for your one-person business
- Invitation to a private Facebook group where you can ask me questions and get support from other members of the program
With this program, the most important thing to note is this: There is no shortcut. Online takes time. It takes energy. It will probably take a little money. There is no guarantee, but I will make you two promises. And my two promises to you are: Number 1. During this six-month program, I promise that you will stop being confused about online marketing, so that your time is freed up to spend doing the things you really love for your customers. And number 2. Nobody knows everything. There are no gurus. So I don’t know everything, but I promise that during this program I will be fully here for you (both on the fortnightly calls and in the Facebook group), and that you will no longer be alone and isolated in your single-person business.
How to register
If you’re interested, wonderful!